Minibus Driver Awareness Scheme (MiDAS) Training
MiDAS is a national scheme to enhance the driving and passenger awareness skills of minibus drivers. MiDAS is not a legal requirement but is increasingly being accepted as a ‘best working practice’. Most organisations operating minibuses like their drivers to have a MiDAS certificate. It is down to the organisation’s risk assessment and policy.
MiDAS offers two types of certificate:
- Standard (for driving only)
- Accessible (in addition to driving, this includes safely securing wheelchairs)
To be MiDAS trained, you will need to take either a Standard Induction or Accessible Induction course.
Midas has two types of courses:
- Induction – for drivers that do not have a Midas Cert or their Midas Cert has expired more than 3 months
- Refresher – Drivers can only refresh their certificate if they have a current certificate which expires no more than 3 months earlier than the date of Refresher course. Only those who hold a current Accessible certificate can take an Accessible Refresher. Otherwise you will need to re-take the certificate as a new inductee.
The training consists of an online theory session, followed by a separate driving assessment. Days are scheduled as follows:
Induction Standard courses – £135
- Day One – Online Theory Sessions x 1 full day
- Day Two – This is a Theory Session for accessible Inductees only
- Day Three – 1-hour practical assessment in Fareham (if there are NO Accessible
inductees on the course then the practical assessment can be done on Day Two, however
this only happens very occasionally)
Induction Accessible courses – £155
- Day One and Two – Online Theory Sessions x2 full day
- Day Three – 2-3-hour practical assessment in Fareham
Refresher Standard courses – £125
- Day One– Online Theory Session x half day day
- Day Two – 1-hour practical assessment in Fareham
Refresher Accessible courses – £135
- Day One– Online Theory Session x half day
- Day Two – 2-3 hour practical assessment in Fareham
How long does a Cert last?
A certificate is valid for 4 years and you will require refresher training by no less than 3 months before the certificate expiry date.
Book your place:
Before you book please establish who is and is not entitled to drive a minibus by reading our:
You will need your Driving License to hand to complete the form (Please note a car driving license does not automatically entitle anyone to drive a minibus)
When you receive your booking confirmation email, you will be asked to send us a copy of your driver’s license. This needs to be scanned and emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org
Further information can be obtained through the Driving a Minibus on the DVLA webpages
If you have any questions please contact us:
email@example.com | 01730 777059