6 August 2020
Shopmobility Winchester has reopened – here’s how to access the service
Community First’s Shopmobility service in Winchester has successfully restarted operations and is welcoming customers as part of a phased reopening that started on Monday 29th June. Shopmobility provides mobility scooters, electric and manual wheelchairs to people with limited mobility, enabling them to access the city centre and shop independently.
Shopmobility Winchester is normally based from its office the Upper Parking Level of the Brooks Shopping Centre car park. However, the Shopmobility office is currently closed while lift refurbishments take place within the Brooks Centre. Pre-bookings can be made by telephone and email. The Shopmobility team will arrange equipment pick-up or delivery with you.
As lockdown eases, more people are starting to go out in the city again, now including some of those who were previously shielding. Helping customers return to the city centre while maintaining safety and peace of mind is therefore the service’s greatest priority. The following measures are in place to ensure the safety of customers and staff:
● The service will be open initially between 10:00am-4:00pm, Monday to Saturday.
● A pre-booking only system minimises the number of people on-site at a given time. To make a booking, please call 01962 842626 before 3pm to book for the following day.
● Social distancing is observed, and new members being trained will be asked to wear
a face covering.
● A new contactless payment system is in place. The office can still handle cash if necessary, but please come with the right change.
● There are separate areas for picking up and dropping off mobility scooters and equipment to allow for cleaning.
Rachel Birnie, Community First’s Transport Co-Ordinator for Winchester, said,
“We are so pleased to have successfully restarted Shopmobility Winchester. It has been wonderful for the team to start seeing our valued customers again, albeit with social distancing. It is most rewarding to see how the service is helping people enjoy getting out again. Recently, Andy from our team delivered two scooters to Marwell for a couple who were taking a day trip to the zoo. We are looking forward to seeing more customers return and new customers come in as more people start venturing out.”