Community First is pleased to announce the reopening of Shopmobility in Fareham.
From 3rd August, Fareham Shopmobility will operate on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday only. These changes have been made to ensure we can support users of the service when demand is at its highest.
- Safety of our customers and staff is paramount, so at this stage, we will be taking the following steps:
- We will be operating a pre-booking system as part of our phased re-opening. Please call 01329 282929 before 3pm to book for the following day.
- Initially, we will be open between 10am-4pm, Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday.
- Social distancing will be observed, and new members being trained will be asked to wear a face covering.
- Our new contactless payment system is ready to use! We can still handle cash, but please come with the right change.
- There will be separate areas for pick up and drop off of mobility scooters and equipment to allow for cleaning.
What we do?
The Fareham ShopMobility service provides mobility scooters, electric and manual wheelchairs to people with limited mobility, enabling them to access Fareham town centre and shop independently. Located in the same building, the Carers and Disability Information Centre provides a wealth of information.
Who can use Fareham ShopMobility?
You do not have to be registered disabled or have a long-term condition in order to take advantage of this service. Equipment may be hired by anyone who needs assistance to be independently mobile in the town centre and local area, irrespective of age*. Advice and training is given to all users. For more details regarding training, information and advice for buying and using powered mobility scooters contact us.
You can also download our Shopmobility Leaflet March 2019.
*Please note there is a minimum age requirement of 16 years for hire of power chairs and scooters.
What can I hire and how much does it cost?
To become a member costs £10.00 per year. Membership also includes use of the majority of the ShopMobility schemes in the Wessex area. Members can hire:
- a wheelchair for £3.50 per day
- an electric scooter or powered chair for £4.50 per day
Just bring along proof of ID and then you can hire:
- a wheelchair for £5.50 per day
- an electric scooter or powered chair for £6.50 per day
Do I need to book?
Not necessarily, either just turn up on the day, or book in advance to ensure you get the equipment you want. The Centre is open from 9am to 4.15pm Monday to Saturday. To help you plan your trip, click here for Fareham town centre information and map.
How do I get to ShopMobility?
You can either:
- arrive by car and park on the ground level of the Osborn Road multi-storey car park
- use the Dial-A-Ride service
We have some scooters and wheelchairs available to Members for long-term loans for holidays or trips. The hire charge is £6 per day for scooters and £4.50 per day for wheelchairs. Contact us to make a booking. Please note, we require a £50 refundable deposit for long term hires. Unfortunately, we are unable to accept card payments.
Be a Volunteer
We welcome applications from enthusiastic volunteers who would like to help the ShopMobility service, including volunteers who are able to push a manual wheelchair around Fareham Shopping Centre. As a volunteer, you will be trained in the operation of the centre. You may also undertake some training on the Carers and Disability Information Centre.
If you are interested, please contact us to see what the work involves.
Help us to Fundraise
Fundraising is crucial to the development of services at Fareham ShopMobility. Contact us if you can help.
Why not take a look at the video that Fareham Borough Council have produced https://www.facebook.com/farehambc/videos/1023003891240701/
- Call 01329 282929
- Ground Level, Osborn Road Multi-Storey Car Park, Fareham, Hampshire PO16 7DW (close to Fareham Library)