Volunteering for Businesses
* New * East Hampshire Volunteer Awards
We are celebrating the time and energy given by volunteers across East Hampshire in November 2017, and we welcome nominations. You can find more information and nomination forms at www.cfirst.org.uk/volunteerawardseasthants2017/.
Employee Volunteering is when a company’s employees offer their time and expertise for the benefit of local voluntary and community groups during work time, all with the support of their employer. Volunteering is promoted, encouraged and recognised by the company.
Responsible Business is core business. Recent research has shown that:
“For many companies CSR is regarded as part of their license to operate – something they must do instead of something they do to create competitive advantage.”
IMPACT Report Executive summary, European Commission
Community First works with local charitable and voluntary organisations so that local businesses can get involved in the community, from sharing skills of employees to helping out on a one-off project.
What are the benefits?
- Increase customer retention
- Develop and enhance relationships with customers, suppliers and networks
- Attract, retain and maintain a happy workforce and be an Employer of Choice
- Differentiate yourself from your competitors
- Generate positive publicity and media opportunities due to media interest in ethical business activities
88% of consumers said they were more likely to buy from a company that supports and engages in activities to improve society.Better Business Journey, UK Small Business Consortium
Make a real difference to voluntary organisations by helping them to accomplish tasks that they do not have the resources to achieve;
- Cost savings
- Improved facilities or services
- Acquiring new business skills
- Raising local awareness of the work done by voluntary groups
- Recruitment of regular volunteers and Trustees
- Building long-term relationships with local companies
How Community First can help?
As a charitable infrastructure organisation our membership base consists of over 600 voluntary community organisations and charities.
Our Team Challenges give employees the opportunity to learn new skills, build cross-functional teams and have some fun! Volunteering as a team can make a real difference to voluntary groups with limited funds and resources. Examples could be:
- Day Trip or Christmas/Summer Party
The Employee Volunteering Skill Share Scheme matches skills such as marketing, website construction, CV writing, interviewing techniques, finance etc. Employees from local companies can share their business skills with voluntary groups through one-off tasks. Community First can:
- Deliver bespoke corporate volunteering packages
- Brokerage of partnership opportunities
- Raise your profile amongst voluntary sector organisations
- Develop your responsible business credentials
- Receive information on developments in local civic society
- Attend networking opportunities with other likeminded businesses and community groups.